OBELISK COMMEMORATED TO THE THIRD BATTLE OF PANIPAT
During the British regime, this obelisk was erected by the then Surveyor General of Archaeology in India. It marks the site of the Third Battle of Panipat in 1761 AD. Here, Sadashiva Rao Bhau, who commanded the Maratha resistance during the battle, is believed to have laid down his life while fighting. A brick pillar with an iron rod at the top and an iron fence surrounding the whole area marks the site. A beautiful war memorial complex has been constructed by the Battles of Panipat Memorial Society around this obelisk in about 7 acres of land. This Society was constituted by the Haryana Government in 1981 under the chairmanship of Late Shri G.D. Tapse, the then Governor of Haryana, as a mark of respect to the heroes and the soldiers, who laid down their lives in the three battles of Panipat. The Society has also set up a Panipat Museum at Village Binjhol on Panipat-Gohana road, about 5 kms. from Panipat. The materials, objects and the write-ups relating to these battles along with the archaeological and ethnological materials are exhibited in this museum.